Monday, April 4, 2011

Project 365 - Beatlemania

I grew up listening to the Beatles.  The cliche about their music being the score for my youth happens to ring true for me.  From gangly little girl to an almost sort of adult, it seems, that The Beatles were there.

The most amazing thing about this music is, that to this day, it still surprises me.  I am amazed at the poetry, the complexity of the harmonies, the sophistication of the arrangements, the experimentation and utilization of instruments.  But mostly, I am surprised and amazed at how many Beatles songs I actually know the words to.

Tonight I went to a show at the World Cafe Live in Philadelphia.  A local band performed two Beatles albums, Rubber Soul and Revolver, all the way through, with a little Abbey Road and a bit of the White Album thrown in for good measure.

At one point, my daughter, Maddie, turned to me and said, "Wow, Mom, you know every word to every song!  Do you know ALL the Beatles songs?"  I just smiled ear to ear and said, "Yes, Maddie.  I believe I do."  She smiled back and we danced and sang on.

See?  Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment