Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Project 365 - The Banjo

I needed something different to shoot today.  I had no idea what I was looking for, I just knew it had to be something I had not photographed before.  I walked around the house a bit.  Nothing stood out.

By the time I picked up my camera, the sky had clouded over and became flat gray.  No golden glow this afternoon. Too cold and damp for a trek into the woods.

The dog and I sat in the living room. I searched the room for something, anything, that spoke my name.

Off in the corner standing silent stood my unexpected subject.  A banjo that my husband had purchased some time ago with the intention of learning to play.

I opened the case.  I felt the strings against my fingers, the smooth inlaid mother of pearl on the neck.  I explored the tight round face, looking for an angle.  And then, just as I was contemplating putting the banjo back in it's case, the sun broke through the window and the banjo lit up.

If the sound of a banjo could be tranlated to light, it would dance and dart in sweet reflection in long beams of softness across the bridge.  And it would make me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment