Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Project 365 - A Walk in the Woods


I am lucky. I live on 5.5 acres of land. I have gardened, in one fashion or another, about 3 acres of that land. The remaining 2.5 acres is woodland that, if you are game for a bit of a hike, will eventually take you into Ridley Creek State Park.

Apart from gazing from my studio window, it is rare that I have ventured down the bank and into the woods. But, as this new year has beckoned me to healing and growth in many ways, so it has drawn me into the out of doors.

Yesterday, my dog Katie and I, went exploring. We scrambled down the gray rock cliffs, slipping and sliding on the remains of a bygone summer season. Katie is much more sure footed than I, not to mention patient. She tore up and down the steep bank several times as I picked my way along, carefully placing each step on what I determined to be solid ground.

A creek runs through the lower portion of our property. A wonderful reward for us both. Camera in hand, I followed the flow of water over trees felled by time and nature and water tumbled stones. Katie splashed in the creek, unearthing sleeping skunk cabbage buds with her nose and spooking the occasional chipmunk. Untethered joy.

Later on, as I watched her sleeping off her adventure, it occurred to me that maybe being surefooted on solid ground is not always what it is cracked up to be. Maybe a splash in a cold flowing stream every now and then is not such a bad idea. Letting go just enough to make the most out of our everyday adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment